Why Is Vitamin C Good For Your Skin?
January 18, 2023
Vitamin C is best known for being a go-to solution for common colds. That’s why when you get sick you’ve learned to grab a tall glass of OJ and fill it with a package of Emergen-C. Along with boosting your immune system, vitamin C has amazing benefits for your skin health. You may be wondering, “Why is vitamin C good for your skin?” Well, before you go dumping a glass of orange juice on your face, these are the main reasons why you should be looking for vitamin C in your skincare products.
What is Vitamin C?
Vitamin C is also known as ascorbic acid and is a naturally occurring nutrient in the body. It is a water soluble vitamin that can be found in citrus, such as oranges or grapefruit, along with different vegetables like spinach. The main job of vitamin C in the body is to repair cells, restore tissue, and produce protein.
Vitamin C Benefits For Skin
• It improves hydration and moisture. If you suffer from dry skin, vitamin C is a must in your skincare routine. One of the main derivatives of vitamin C is called Magnesium ascorbyl phosphate. When used in a skincare serum, it has been shown to have hydrating effects due to its ability to decrease water loss. In turn, this allows the skin to retain more moisture.
• It boosts collagen production along with elastin in the dermis layer of the skin. This helps to regenerate the skin, keeping it soft, bouncy, and youthful. If you want to maintain an ageless glow, using vitamin C on your face is a great solution. This also helps to reduce the amount of lines and wrinkles that come with age.
• It helps to reduce inflammation. If you experience puffiness around the eyes or other areas of the face, vitamin C has the ability to get rid of the free radicals that often cause inflammation issues in the skin.
• It evens out your skin texture and tone. The vitamins help promote faster healing in the skin especially when you get a sunburn. It helps to get rid of the redness and relieve the itching.
• It brightens the skin. Vitamin C can also assist with hyperpigmentation problems in the skin, by inhibiting the enzyme tyrosinase, which helps to prevent melanin production. This can significantly lighten pigmentation without changing the natural skin tone.
• Its antioxidant properties protect the skin from UV rays and free radicals. Using a sunscreen that has a high concentration of vitamin C can help to form a barrier over the skin during the daytime.
As you can see, Vitamin C provides countless benefits for your skin. Adding products that include vitamin C into their formula into your skin care routine will help to enhance your skin’s natural beauty. Here at Scintera, we use this super ingredient inside of many of our skincare products. Head to our shop and find the best solution for your skincare needs.